Friday, October 1, 2010

Thoughts On Modern Music

Dear Internet,


   Okay, maybe I'm just picky, but it seems to me that modern music has just deteriorated over the past 20 years or so.  Seriously, what the heck happened?  I mean, I'll give it to Lady Gaga, she's definitely unique- but her music itself is still kind of generic.  I don't even touch pop radio.  Whenever I'm forced to listen to it, I'll like maybe one song per hour-- if I'm lucky.  If not, it's nothing but the same generic crap.  Synthesizers, auto-tuned vocals, mindlessly repetitive lyrics, and lots of sex- that's what I hear.

   What happened to the days when pop radio played good stuff, music with actual lyrics and actual meanings?  What happened to songs with more than five notes?  And here's a question-- what happened to actual SINGING?  Is it all just rap and synthesizers and auto-tune now?  I'll grant there's the odd exception that actually sings most of their stuff and only uses computers to tweak their voice here and there (for example, Lady Gaga), but most of them are not even really singing anymore.
   And why does music have to be so explicit?  Is nothing to be left to the imagination anymore?  I mean, I like sex as much as the next person, but really- there are CHILDREN listening to the radio!  What happened to the days of INNUENDOS?  Is the art of innuendos dead?
   Another complaint: the music industry today is MUCH too focused on image.  If you're not attractive, you're not gonna make it in show business.  Even country music has grown more aesthetically pleasing!  With today's standards, some of my favorite bands, such as Led Zeppelin, Journey, and KISS, might not have never made it simply because they are not beautiful enough.  That's a damned shame.

   Being a young adult, I feel a bit out of place with a lot of my peers.  They all listen to pop radio and stay updated on the latest bands... but I listen to "the oldies", namely 60s pop, classic rock, 80s music (especially 80s rock, particularly 80s hair bands, my personal favorite genre of all time), and rockabilly.  My taste runs usually about 25 years younger than that of my friends.  Now, don't get me wrong- my friends enjoy the good stuff as much as I do- but when they want to talk about modern music, I'm out of the loop.
   However, I am not overly tempted to get back IN the loop.
   If there's ever a movement for hair bands revival, I will be on top of that.  I will promote it and follow it- heck, I'll dress for it!  Hairspray, leather pants, you name it!  Bring on the Van Halen, the Bon Jovi, and the Ratt!  Bring on the Poison, the Quiet Riot, the Cinderella!
   It almost makes me wish I had been born a couple decades earlier.

No comments:

Post a Comment