Tuesday, October 5, 2010

I Believe In Love

Dear Internet,

   I don't know what I believe anymore, as far as Christianity goes.  But I do know this, that the one thing I've always believed in, more than anything else, is Love.
   Love is real.  Love is everything I want, everything I need.  When people act out of Love, it is powerful, it is sweet, and it is always for good.  Love teaches us respect and kindness for our fellow human beings, teaches us strength and courage, wisdom and hope.  Love is at the center of all things, is the happiness we all strive for.
   The Catholic church does not teach about Love often enough.  It tells us of God's love for us, but it tends to focus on the rules he has laid out for us, on justice and punishment.  I don't want to hear about that.  If there is a God, I hope that he is a god of Love.  Love is the temple at which I worship.
   American society, American pop culture, has got Love all wrong.  They describe it as something selfish, something all-consuming, something which sticks in your mind and dictates your actions; you cannot stop thinking about them, how much you want them, how much you want them to be yours and only yours.  --But this is not Love.  This is Lust.  Lust is dangerous, can poison a relationship to the point of breaking it.  Many people fall in lust with someone and believe that it is Love, because of what pop culture and society lead us to believe.
   So what is Love, you ask?  Love is patient, love is kind.  It is not selfish; it is selfless.  Love does not dwell on injury; it is forgiving.  Love is not self-important, but makes one forget oneself.  Love is all things light and beautiful, warm and clean and bright.  Love helps us grow.  Love is optimistic and hopeful.  Love is endlessly forgiving.  Love is pure.  Love never dies.
   That is what True Love is.  It exists.  It is real.  It is infinite.  It is the most important thing in the world, and the most powerful thing in the world.  Compared to Love, hate is small and immature.  Hate can topple countries, but Love can unite the world.
   Even when I am not sure even if there is a God, I always believe in Love.

No comments:

Post a Comment