Friday, October 15, 2010

Epic Bible Study

Dear Internet,

   "Epic" refers not to something super-awesome, as you would have people believe, but actually refers to something very long, somewhat boring, and at times rather dark and depressing.  Examples of epics are "The Odyssey" and "Lord of the Rings."  Using the correct definition of epic, I am embarking on an epic study of the ENTIRE BIBLE, starting today.
   The particular bible that I'm using is called 'Student Bible For Catholics', and it has questions in the beginning like "Does God Really Exist?" and "Does Hell Really Exist?" and "My Buddy Is Gay"; stuff like that.  So far, I've read those three... and I must say, Catholic arguments against atheism are somewhat lacking.  They rely so much more on faith than logic, and they quote the bible a lot.  Atheists don't believe in the Bible, so you may as well quote Grimm's Fairy Tales at them, because that's all the good you're doing.
   Also, the answers to these questions are somewhat muddy... As I said, they rely a lot on the support of the Bible, but they also rely a lot on traditional faith.  One good logical argument for the existence of God that I saw was "Evolutionists believe that we evolved from amoebas, but no one has yet told where the amoebas came from."  An excellent question-- answered by neither side.  The Catholics bank on the assumption that a divine being, "God", created everything.  (But if God is perfect and makes no mistakes, then why did evolution occur at all?)  The scientists/evolutionists say "We haven't figured it out yet."
   As far as Hell goes, they say that Hell is mentioned several times in the Bible; therefore it exists.  Umm- what?  NOT convincing.  Also, they say that no one is going to Hell, because they have a paragraph-long quote from the Bible saying that Hell was never intended for humans; it was intended for Satan and his demons.  In other words, no matter what we do or how warped we are, we are all going to Heaven.  --This is NOT what the Catholic church has told me my whole life.
   The questions and answers section has not been helpful to me AT ALL.  All it has done is make me even more aware that the arguments for faith are very shaky and rely a lot on faith.  I would liken it to someone with vision trying to tell someone blind what it is like to see a dolphin.  The person with vision takes his eyesight very much for granted, and is stumped as to how to tell the blind person what the dolphin looks like.  Furthermore, the blind person is wondering if the whole thing is pointless in the first place.  After all, the blind person can't see the dolphin.  So the blind person begins to lose interest as the seeing person fumbles for some sort of description, and finally ends up describing the dolphin in terms that only the seeing person understands.
   Christians believe that they have seen the light and that those who haven't can if they want to... which is why I made the seeing man the converter.  Still, it's not a perfect analogy.

   I shall be examining every book of the Bible one by one.  Some, I will deem not even worth reading because they are pure fiction.  Others, I will be examining very closely and deciding what I can and cannot trust as even being possibly true.  Finally, and ultimately, I will decide whether or not I am a Christian, and I will give all my reasons for it, calmly and logically.
   I may end up, if my notes are long enough, publishing my works as a book, "Skepticism and Catholicism."  If I do end up believing Catholicism, or at least Christianity in general, then I will use my real name as the author.  If, however, I find that I am an atheist at the end of it all, I will have to use a pen name, because on the very off-chance that the book actually gains popularity and ends up on some sort of booklist, my parents are going to see it, and they are not going to be happy with me.  As I am the peacemaker of my family, I would really prefer not to start any personal wars within it.
   If you want, I can publish my results here... but look at it as a rough draft, and sometimes cliffnotes, because if I do decide to publish it, it would be awfully foolish to have the whole damned thing available free online to anyone who's looking for it.
   So, for now, Internet, I bid you adieu.

No comments:

Post a Comment