Saturday, October 30, 2010

Alcohol

Dear Internet,

   From a young age, I was taught that all drugs, including tobacco and alcohol, are bad for one's health and should be avoided at all costs.  I refused, as a second-grader, to drink church wine because it is alcohol and I was only eight years old, so technically, I figured, it was illegal for me to drink it (and besides, it smelled unappetizing).  That in mind, I decided never to consume any alcohol in my life.  I knew my mom used it in soup recipes for flavor, and onion rings, one of my favorite restaurant foods, are often deep-fried in beer batter.  However, I was assured that any alcohol used in cooking was boiled off.
   Recently, though, I stumbled upon an article from a reliable source saying that not all of the alcohol is cooked off, no matter how long you cook something-- and boiled liquids, such as soups, have the highest alcohol content- the lowest amount of alcohol burned off in cooking.  So, it seems I have already accidentally consumed some alcohol already.
   I have also been through emotional turmoil as of late, arguably the worst emotional turmoil of my life (I have had a few such incidents/stages), and I was tempted to take up drinking to blow off some frustration.  I was not entirely serious, though, and decided almost instantly that drinking would be a bad idea.  At least until I turn twenty-one, and am legally allowed to drink.
   Getting drunk is obviously a bad idea, and I intend to never allow myself to do that, no matter how depressed I get.  However, I am seriously considering drinking after all, when I am legally allowed to.  I would only be interested in drinks which did not actually taste like alcohol and which are not purely alcohol- I'm thinking more along the lines of a drink that is "spiked" with just a bit of alcohol.
   I may change my mind and stick with the not drinking thing for life, but right now... I am beginning to think that I will not stick to that after all.

Cheers.

No comments:

Post a Comment