Sunday, January 2, 2011

Too Big A Heart

Dear Internet,

   It pains me to see how many good people believe in Christianity.  There are so many kind-hearted, friendly, loving, well-meaning people who honestly believe that the Christian religion is true, and it breaks my heart knowing that they all believe in a lie.  Not just a lie-- a pack of lies, a book of lies, centuries of lies, the biggest lies ever told!  That they devote so much time and effort and energy to something that's not there... that they want so much to help other people but they think that prayer will help, and so they pray instead of doing something genuinely helpful...
   And I'd gladly be the one to shatter their illusions, but I know that it would break all their hearts.  It would confuse them, hurt them, send them into a spiral of sadness and distrust.  In the end, many of them would hate me and erase what I had said from their memories, even though I would have spoken the truth.  Were it possible to tell them all, to wake them all up and prove that there is no god, without them attacking me and collapsing into depression, just imagine what the world could be like!
   Hell (which doesn't exist), if I could tell every religious person in the world that there is no god, that their religion is a lie, and if they would all listen to me and accept what I had to say, imagine what would happen!  Countries would unite!  People would no longer have to set aside many important moral differences because those moral differences would cease to exist without the dictation of religions telling them what is right and what is wrong!  Everywhere, man would reach out to aid his fellow man!  Money would be donated to help the less fortunate.  Wars would be less frequent.  Accounts of history would begin to agree with each other more and more.
   But although a time may come when religion is once and for all finally eradicated from the minds of humans, it is not going to happen for at least years, more probably decades, or even centuries.  People want so much to believe that they are right; that is why similar religions have not merged and never will, such as Judaism and Islam.  People want so much to believe that there is an afterlife, that they have a soul and a father in the sky who is looking out for them constantly, who loves them and has their best interests in mind.  People want to believe that they have something to fall back on when they make a bad decision.  People do not want to let go of their religions.
   And so, although I could tell them all that there is no god, I cannot; they would not listen.  And those that would listen would be heartbroken.
   Sometimes I wish I was colder, that I could look into the faces of those sweet, well-meaning, friendly people I see every Sunday and tell them point-blank that they're wasting their time; that they should do what they can while they're still alive because there is no afterlife; there is no god-- but I can't.  I'm just not hard-hearted enough to do that.
   Wishing and praying are pointless things; I know.  And so writing and publishing this will accomplish virtually nothing.  I know this... but maybe there's someone out there who will read this and get something out of it.  Maybe I'll have helped somebody, reached out to somebody.
   If not, at least I've helped myself by letting out these feelings.  It does no good to keep them locked inside.

No comments:

Post a Comment