Sunday, November 28, 2010

Finally Learning

Dear Internet,

   For a while, I was afraid to ask questions.  I thought that asking questions meant that I was stupid.  I thought that revealing I didn't know something would make me look bad.
   I realized about a year ago that this was stupid and I started questioning everything.  I found I had curiosity pent up inside me from months, possibly years of not asking any questions.  And then I began to realize that I doubt everything about the religion I was raised on.
   Now that I've gotten into heavily questioning religion in general, debating metaphysics, researching philosophical debates, and looking into the viewpoints of atheists versus theists, I've realized that the religion I had was partially responsible for the hibernation of my curiosity.  Remember the tree of knowledge in the creation story?  Remember how they were told not to eat from the tree of knowledge because it was a sin?  I just realized that the Catholic church, heck- the Christian church in general- has been telling me since I was born that knowledge is bad.  More specifically, that the pursuit of knowledge is a sin.
   Well, since I don't believe in sins anymore, I'm finally learning.  I'm finally finding the answers to so many questions I've built up over the years.  And do know who's answering them?
  Scientists.

No comments:

Post a Comment